- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1.25 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee, room temperature
- 2 tablespoon rum
- 2 packages ladyfinger cookies
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and sugar. Add in milk and cook over low to medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Remove immediately from heat and allow to cool slightly. Cover tightly and chill in refriferator for an hour.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Melt the cheese at room temperature. Remove the egg mixture from the refrigerator, whisk the mascarpone cheese into the mixture until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine coffee and rum. ( I used the Starbucks coffee the first time, and tasted good too)
- Dip the ladyfinger into the coffee mixture. Don’t oversoak it, or it will be too soft. Arrange the ladyfingers into the tottom of the 10″ dish. Spread half of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers, then half of the whipped cream over that. Arrange another layer of the ladyfingers on top of the whipped cream, then repeat the mascarpone mixture and whipped cream. Sprinkle with cocoa. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours, until set. Serve cold.
(Please note that the above ingredients are for 10″ dish, which is very big. When actually doing it, you can reduce the amounts to fit your own needs)