Allen-Bradley SLC5/xx PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) has been in the market for more than twenty years. Some only systems have old firmware, which do not support newer feature. 1747-SDN DeviceNet module is SLC5/xx’s gateway to DeviceNet. Firmware 3.00 and below does not support newer features of DeviceNet. However, its firmware upgrading procedure is different with CompactLogix on ControlLogix.
1747-SDN Firmware Upgrade Procedure
- Check current firmware version. It should have label on the scanner card.
- Create a DeviceNet driver in RSLinx. This should be a direct link, such as 1770-KFD with correct Node Address, Data Rate and Communication Port settings.
- Run ControlFlash (You can download it from Allen-Bradley’s website) and select 1747-SDN
- Select target 1747-SDN module from RSLinx
- Select Target firmware version
- Click Finish to start firmware upgrade procedure
- Follow screen command to finish the firmware upgrade. Label the 1747-SDN card with new firmware version number for future reference.